SCI Tree.jpg
 

Our Story...

IMG-2553done - Copy (3).jpg

South Central Sheltered Workshop became South Central Industries, Inc. in 1996. The name change was made to remove “Sheltered Workshop” which was now seen as politically incorrect terminology.  South Central began receiving funding from the State of Oklahoma to provide vocational training in 1984.  South Central Industries, Inc. now provides services to over fifty individuals with a staff of twenty five to assist with one-on-one and small group needs. Through nine separate contracts with the State of Oklahoma and private business contracts, South Central has been able to diversify its job offerings to include city beautification, janitorial, lawn care, pallet construction, product offerings, volunteer opportunities with the Community Market, SPAR and Meals on Wheels and self-enrichment programs through the Sr. Center and Blue Zones. South Central strives to meet its clients' needs vocationally, residentially and socially.

 

South Central Sheltered Workshop, originally located at 1827 W. MacArthur, was originally affiliated with Shawnee Assoc. of Retarded Citizens in the year 1981. On September 12, 1981, a meeting was held to become a nonprofit organization with the purpose of providing vocational training to individuals for competitive jobs in the Shawnee community and for Tecumseh School to be the primary workshop location. The agency originally served 22 individuals. On October 5, 1981, South Central Sheltered Workshop was awarded its first work contract to produce survey flags for the State of Oklahoma's Department of Transportation. In May 1985, South Central Sheltered Workshop moved to 1221 North McKinley to a building donated by Don Bodard and Paul Hale. South Central remained at this location until September 1990 when it moved to its present location at 130 North Louisa. The agency has since purchased the following properties: 100, 120, 126, 204 N. Louisa and 419 W. 9th for vocational purposes and 314 and 301 W 9th for residential group homes.